.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

johnny dollar's vault

retro pop culture and various local observations and ramblings.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
johnny dollar's vault resides in the basement of stately dollar maisonTM, amongst the wine cellar, tiki bar, and finicky electrical panel. from time to time i will unearth various artifacts from either there or from the random crevices of my mind.

please visit the new and improved pig cookin' post!

NOTE: this blog will NOT deal with any recent pop culture (i.e. since about 1990) or topical issues, so if you're looking for discussion about britney baracko jacko flacco, look elsewhere, lol

Friday, August 11, 2006

my 1940's dream kitchen

as i was doing the dishes yesterday it struck me as perhaps atypical that we have no dishwasher or disposal. (word is disposals were illegal in balmer city for many years). and since charissa was sharing kitchen photos i figgered i would too.


actually i take that back - we have a dishwasher, it's pretty much me! not that i mind it that much. but there it is - pretty much how it was when built in 1940, except for the new cooker technology, a coat or two of paint on the casework and a pergo flo'.

peep tha historical original 1950's-era boomerang formica countertop! pretty gritty after all these years, but it still makes me feel swank when i'm kicking it donna reed style.

now what to do with the dishpan hands - i'll ask madge...


13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooohh, man. I'm jealous of your countertops....

I have a 1930's/40's dining room set my hubby & scored after our wedding (the 1950's). My obsession for antiques sometimes trumps that of my anime obsession.

1:11 PM  
Blogger johnny dollar said...

hehe, well that is the best portion of the counter, it's pretty ratty elsewhere. we plan on renovating the kitchen sometime soon ~ i'm sure my wife would let you have the countertops :) actually her period of collectimg is 1930's/1940's as well ~ you would prolly get along with her...

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice formica! If you are going to redo it, are you going to get the same countertop?

1:26 PM  
Blogger johnny dollar said...

thanks jjt, personally i would love new formica like that if i could detail the edges at the sink properly. i hate countertop gunk catchers. i think however the new overall design might not jive with boomerang formica. we'll see.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Summer said...

It actually looks rather modern! Love it! :-)

3:38 PM  
Blogger johnny dollar said...

thanks summer!

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should see my suit collection. All 1940's, all the time. I did get some interesting comments from people when I was interviewing for jobs a while back. They did find my choice in suits rather interesting.

I have some GREAT original 1930's fashion watercolors from england. My mom scored them for about 10 pounds each in 1999. I have to get them framed, but they will look fab in my dining room.

I should give you the link to our wedding pics. My gown was my Grandmoms, my moms then mine. It rocked. I did period everything...We handmade our invites using old ads from war time LOOK magazines, they turned out fab. So yeah, I probably would get along nicely with your wife.

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well JD thats a pretty rockin kitchen and ur the best looking dishwasher Maytag ever put on the market. I'm sure yer wife appreciates it!!! Btw, Bert's Bees works great on those dishpan hands :-))

5:06 PM  
Blogger johnny dollar said...

wow, thanks! who woulda thunk a kitchen would score this comment bonanza! and yah lori we would luv to see your vintage wedding fotos!

5:15 PM  
Blogger Charissa said...

What an adorable kitchen. My CURRENT kitchen is a renter's kitchen. I've decorated it cute, but it's still your basic run-of-the-mill cabinets. I long for a cook's kitchen...

PS Thanks for the shout out. ;)

1:26 PM  
Blogger johnny dollar said...

sure charissa, thanks for the kinds words as well.

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sort of stumbled onto your site but I just wanted to say how much I liked your kitchen. LOVE the wall-mounted faucet.

6:49 PM  
Blogger johnny dollar said...

thx julie!

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home