.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

johnny dollar's vault

retro pop culture and various local observations and ramblings.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
johnny dollar's vault resides in the basement of stately dollar maisonTM, amongst the wine cellar, tiki bar, and finicky electrical panel. from time to time i will unearth various artifacts from either there or from the random crevices of my mind.

please visit the new and improved pig cookin' post!

NOTE: this blog will NOT deal with any recent pop culture (i.e. since about 1990) or topical issues, so if you're looking for discussion about britney baracko jacko flacco, look elsewhere, lol

Monday, June 18, 2007

mixology, 70's style: i'm a SoCorpio..

perhaps a good example of misguided marketing from the 70s: i inherited this pamphlet from my parents when they gave me their 1960 portable bar. it looks like it was an insert in a magazine.


i display this prominently in my house coz it makes me warm and fuzzy in an abba-esque way, and also coz the notion of making all these drinks with soco kind of makes me gag. in an abba-esque way.









hot buttered comfort... eww...


the entire set at higher resolution can be found here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant. Perhaps the most 70s thing I have ever seen. If only they were using a fondue set instead of a mini hibachi.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Double Dogged said...

Hey man, what's your sign? I haven't heard that for a long time!

6:06 PM  
Blogger John said...

Fun! BTW: I've always wondered if hot buttered rum was actually buttered. Now I know! Probably not as disgusting as it seems to us. Yes I know SoCo isn't rum, but any liquor with a fat in it, not just rum, sounds odd. A Deep South thing?

I love that mixology book.

7:01 AM  
Blogger johnny dollar said...

martiki: i BOH-lieve you are correct...

dd: i was on a 70's/astrology kick in the 90's... i got better...

john: hot buttered rum is the shiznit in the winter. bertha's mussels mixes a great one (in the winter of course)

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home